Wednesday, 3 February 2016

Allergies Rule the World

I read an article today about a mother who has a pre-teen son with a peanut allergy.  I am not going to link to said article, because quite frankly, while I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I believe what was written was very narrow minded.

That being said, food allergies are not uncommon in our household.  My eldest daughter and I share a peanut allergy and my youngest in intolerant of nuts (this means her body reacts violently to ingesting nuts and nut products... she vomits. Profusely.  Everywhere.  It's a mess).  The daughter of one of my closest friends has a newly discovered dairy allergy.  I have a cousin who is allergic to shellfish and various seasonal fruits. Believe me when I say, allergies are not uncommon around here.

Now this article, while it did make valid points about the rise in nuts based milks (due to the increase in dairy allergies), it seemed as though the author was placing her son's allergy in a higher priority than people with dairy allergies.  This is not a competition... no one allergy should out weigh another.

I do not envy anyone with a child with a dairy allergy.  Dairy products are literally in EVERYTHING.  Chicken fingers.  Hot dogs.  Baby formula.  Baked goods and pre-made mixes.  Cereal. Candy.  Potato chips.  Dairy and milk proteins are hidden in many places.  While I need to be diligent in reading labels for peanuts, it seems people with dairy allergies have to be even more so.

When it comes to the school board, they are VERY accommodating for peanut allergies and I appreciate this to no end.  Peanut products (and even Wow-butter, due to it's similar look to peanut butter) are banned.  What about dairy allergies?  Milk products are not banned.  We have milk and pizza days frequently.  So what happens to the poor children whose bodies cannot handle dairy proteins.  Our school (and specific teachers and Home & School Members) have been very diligent in protecting my friend's Kindergarten daughter from dairy.  They are learning to keep an eye out for dairy - Kudos to them!

However, this is where we get into a very sticky situation regarding allergies.  We simply cannot ban every food that is a potential allergen for children.  Since there are air-borne peanut allergies I understand that schools (and some work-places) must be a peanut free zone.  Is an air-borne dairy allergy even a possibility (I do not know,maybe I should look that up), but that does not make any single person with a peanut allergy more deserving of protection than that of any other kind of allergy.

Children with food allergies should be taught what foods they should avoid - and so should friends and family.  It should not be up to society keep a watchful eye out for the safety of your child.  That is your job as a parent.  If you see nut based-milks don't buy them if you have a peanut allergy! It's as simple as that.  Just remember that child with the dairy allergy would like to have "milk" on her cereal too...


Share:

2 comments:

  1. Well said ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting better. I don't give your children bites of my peanut butter toast any more and I even remembered to tell them they couldn't have the honey because I used one knife to make my peanut butter & honey sandwich. Anonymous Mom

    ReplyDelete